Wiser Concepts ProbioticWise for Horses (2.5 lb)
Fermentation Metabolite 2,500 mg per oz
Saccharomyces Boulardii 20 billion CFU per oz
Lyophilized Saccharomyces Boulardii
Lyophilized Saccharomyces boulardii is a yeast that contributes many supportive functions to the horse’s GI tract.
While other yeast products make claims of probiotic activities, decades of clinical research have demonstrated the supportive benefits of S. boulardii. Of all probiotics, S. boulardii has been the most extensively studied. It has been evaluated in dozens of randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials. Multiple trials have demonstrated significant improvement in subjects suffering from acute and chronic diarrhea.
For most horse managers/owners, diarrhea can be a difficult ailment to overcome. Studies indicate that S. boulardii supports conditions that improve or halt episodes of diarrhea, regardless of cause.
For those horses consuming higher quantities of grain, research has demonstrated that oral administration of the lyophilized yeast results in a stimulation of several brush border membrane enzymes. This supports a more complete digestion of nonstructural carbohydrate (NSC) feedstuffs—starches and sugars—in the foregut, thereby decreasing the amount of NSC that may escape to be fermented in the hindgut. Supporting increased digestibility of NSC feedstuffs decreases the risk of hindgut imbalances and acidosis that can lead to colic and laminitis.
Very recent research has focused on the mode of action by which S. boulardii supports the functionality of and healing of damaged intestinal tissues. Researchers concluded that S. boulardii secretes factors while moving through the gastrointestinal tract that support the repair of damaged cells in the gut epithelium. These supportive properties may contribute to quicker recovery time in horses challenged by colonic or gastric ulcers.
Fermentation metabolites (FM) are produced from a proprietary yeast fermentation process. These FM support a healthy immune balance of the horse’s gastrointestinal system. A few of the nutritional metabolites in FM include polyphenols, nucleotides, and phytosterols.
These metabolites have been shown in controlled research trials to support positive immune response when faced with a challenge. Additionally, FM can actually support the stimulation of the body’s innate immune response. Researchers observed significantly increased numbers of macrophages when subjects receiving FM were administered a bacterial challenge. Those subjects were able to more quickly and completely fight off invading organisms, and maintained improved health and production compared with control subjects.
Fermentation metabolites have been shown to support antioxidant status when fed to especially stressed or physically taxed horses. Hard-working equine athletes can suffer from poor antioxidant status when the byproducts of high muscle and respiratory function are released into the body. Destructive compounds, including free radicals and peroxides, are produced during exercise; the polyphenols and polysterols provided in the FM disable these compounds and support muscle and respiratory recovery after exercise.
In addition to directly supporting the horse’s own immune responses and antioxidant status, FM supports the growth and activity of beneficial bacteria in the hindgut and throughout the GI tract. FM helps to maintain improved fiber digestion and a better balance of functional microbes throughout the digestive tract.
The FM in ProboticWise also contains mannanoligosaccharides (MOS). MOS supports the agglutination of the pathogenic bacteria, E.Coli and salmonella, preventing adhesion to the intestinal tissues. MOS interferes with the establishment of viable pathogenic populations by supporting the flushing of pathogenic bacteria out of the digestive tract.
Mix recommended amount in total daily ration.
ProbioticWise powder formula:
- Daily maintenance: 1 scoop (1 oz) per day.
- To support horses during competition, training or shipping: 2 scoops (2 oz) per day.
- To support restoration of normal gut function: 3 to 4 scoops (3 to 4 oz) daily for 3 to 5 days and then reduce to 2 scoops (2 oz) thereafter.
- In horses experiencing digestive problems, a veterinarian may recommend higher levels for short-term use. Consult with your veterinarian for any use above 3 scoops (3 oz) per day. Do not exceed 6 scoops (6 oz) per day.
- To support digestive tract health in newborn foals: 1 scoop (1 oz) daily from 1 through 10 days of age.
- To support restoration of normal gut function in foals: 2 scoops (2 oz) daily for 3 to 5 days and then reduce to 1 scoop (1 oz) daily thereafter. Do not exceed 2 scoops (2 oz) per day.
ProbioticWise paste formula:
- Daily maintenance: 15cc per day.
- To support horses during competition, training or shipping: 30cc per day.
- To support restoration of normal gut function: 45cc to 60cc daily for 3 to 5 days and then reduce to 30cc thereafter.
- In horses experiencing digestive problems, a veterinarian may recommend higher levels for short-term use. Consult with your veterinarian for any use above 45cc per day. Do not exceed 90cc per day.
- To maintain digestive tract health in newborn foals: 15cc daily from 1 through 10 days of age.
- To support restoration of normal gut function in foals: 30cc daily for 3 to 5 days and then reduce to 15cc thereafter. Do not exceed 30cc per day.
Storage and shelf life: Store ProbioticWise™ in a cool, dry place. Reseal lid or replace cap during storage. Shelf life is 24 months from date of manufacture when stored under suitable conditions.