A new year means a new beginning. Start your dog or cat's year off right by giving them food and treats that are nutritious and delicious! Many pet owners believe that healthy food means bland food; however, that's not the case. There are many treats available for dogs and cat's that taste great and are low in calories.
It's estimated that over 35% of all dogs and 40% of all cats are obese. If your pet is overweight there are steps that you can take to help them. A healthy diet, regular veterinarian visits and plenty of exercise are essential to helping your pet extend his life.
For dogs' the primary cause of obesity is over eating and a lack of exercise.
No matter what the cause the first step in helping your overweight pet is to take your dog or cat to their veterinarian. Before placing your pet on a diet it's important to make sure they are healthy. Ruling out digestive and stomach problems can help ensure that you place your pet on a diet that will work. The second step is to examine your dog or cats diet. If you find that you tend to give your pet too many treats or tend to over fill their food bowl it's time to cut back.
Dog Health and Exercise
When getting your pet to lose weight it's essential to put him or her on a feeding schedule. Setting up a feeding schedule as opposed to leaving food out will ensure that your pet isn't over eating due to boredom or curiosity. Along with setting up a feeding schedule it's important to feed your pet the right foods. For cat owner's it's important to watch what you feed him or her. For dogs it's important to feed them treats and food that are low in calories. The following treats will keep your pet satisfied and you happy knowing that you gave him or her a healthy snack.
- Treats such Joint Treats and Royal Canin are great because they're low in calorie but contain ingredients that can help with joint and digestive conditions.
- If you're looking to give your pet a nutritious but delicious treat then look no further then Pet 'n Shape. These dog treats are ideal for pet owners looking to reward their pet with out over indulging them. Pet 'n Shape comes in tasty flavors like Chik 'n Skewers, Chik 'n Sweet Potato, Chik 'n Rings and Chik 'n Dumbbells.
Pet 'n Shape
Chik 'n Sweet Potato
Chik 'n Dumbbells
| || || |
- Greenies Lite is formulated to address weight concerns and to keep your pets teeth strong. Greenies Lite has a softer texture, more rounded edges and natural break points for more thorough, enjoyable chewing..
- Keep your dog lean by giving him or her tasty, low calorie treats such as Trim Treats for Dog. The dog treat is low in fat and high in fiber and comes in flavors any dog will love like Lamb, Beef and Chicken & Liver.
Chicken & Liver Flavor
| || || |
- Another healthy alternative is Lean Treats. The treat comes in a high palatable flavor of skinless chicken! Lean Treats can be used as a treat or a training reward.
- While you're helping your dogs nutrition give them a supplement that can be equally beneficial. Joint MAX Triple Strength will help your dogs' joint to feel his or her best. And because it's low in calories you can be sure you're giving your pet a nutritious supplement.
Joint Max Triple Strength
- Help your pets' digestion by feeding them Syner-G. Syner-G is a natural food enzyme that helps aid in digestion and nutrient absorption. The supplement can also be used to reduce gas and bloating. What's great about this supplement is that it can also be used to reduce your dog or cat's allergies while helping them to shed less.
SUPPLEMENTS While it's important that you find healthy alternatives to treats giving your pet supplements can help with reducing joint dysfunction and help lower the risk of health problems such as diabetes. Vetri- Lean and CreaCarb are two supplements that can help your pets' health.
For an obese pet it isn't enough that you simply change their diet but it's important that your dog or cat gets enough exercise. Below is a list a toys that will bring out your pups playful side! These toys will make even the most tiered dog ready for play.
- Toys such as Bettie by Otis and Claude. One great part of the Bettie toy is that is has three hallow prongs that are perfect for stuffing healthy treats in.
- Chuckit! The Chuckit! is another favorite as it's a great way to exercise your dog without wearing out your arm. The toy comes in a variety of lengths so you can find the right one for your pup. Women will love the Chuckit! because it's designed for hand-free pickup so you never have to pick up a slobbery ball!
- The Dog Agility Starter Kit Obstacle Course will take your dog on a ride they won't want to get off. The obstacle course is perfect for multiple dogs and comes with items such as an open tunnel, stop watch & award ribbons and more!!
Cat Diet Health and Exercise Some of the causes of obesity in cats are: multiple pets, boredom, overeating and type of cat. If you have more than one pet home often times when one cat goes to the food bowl the other(s) will follow. While there he or she will take a few nibbles. However, over time the nibbles can add up. The second way that cats can become obese is through boredom. If your cat is home alone often he or she may eat just to find something pleasurable to do. Be sure to spend plenty of time with your cat. Often times the result of an overweight is as simple to explain as over eating. The final way that a cat may become overweight is determined if they were once stray. Stray cats often have "food issues" stemming from having to struggle on the streets and stay with them when rescued.
When shopping for your kitty be sure to check the label. If you're a cat owner that feeds your pet dry food your better off finding an alternative treat. Because dry foods tend to have more calories it's better to feed your kitty wet food. Another reason to give your pet wet food is that it contains more protein and fat. Unlike humans and dogs, felines don't use carbohydrates for energy; as a result they turn into fat. If you feed your cat treats that are high in carbs in combination with dry food they will be more likely to gain weight. Finding the right treat for your cat doesn't have to be a daunting task. The following treats provide nutrition and are low in calories. Best of all they taste great so your kitty will never know the difference.
- Trim Treats for Cats - low in fat and high in taste! These treats not only help your cats health they keep teeth clean while freshening their breath.
- Krazy Kitty Catnip - 100% natural and 100% great. This is one catnip your cat will love!
- Catberry Treat-Ums - this cat treat not only tastes great, it's good for them! Made of cranberry, this treat provides essential vitamins and minerals to your pet's diet.
- Lean Treats for Cats - Lean treats good and are good for your pet. Made with skinless chicken, this treat will complement the nutrition in your cat's diet.
- When you're looking to spoil your pet, turn to Kitty Kaviar. This detectible treat contains is 100% and contains all-natural fish that's perfect for any cat.
Trim Treats for Cats
Krazy Kitty Catnip
Lean Treats for Cats
| || || || |
Supplements While it's important that you find healthy alternatives to treats giving your pet supplements can help with reducing joint dysfunction and help lower the risk of health problems such as diabetes. CreaCarb is a supplement that can help your cat's health.
Exercise Unlike dog's you don't take your cat for a run or play fetch with them. But there are things you can do to get your kitty to be more active. Buying toys that bring out your cat's curious side is a great way to get them active. The following toys are wonderful because they exciting and extremely durable.
- Panic Mouse Purr Petual Motion
- Panic Mouse Undercover Mouse
- If you are looking to give your cat a unique toy then the Ba Da Beam Rotating Laser Cat Toy is what you're looking for. This cat toy will defiantly get your kitty moving; the toy circles, pauses and circles again. This toy will have your cat pumped and ready for play!
With the New Year it's important that you start off your pet's year off right. If left untreated, obesity in dogs and cat's can lead to serious health problems later on. Be sure to take your pet to the vet for a check-up and always take time out to spend time with him or her.