Blood Glucose Test Make sure you have all items needed to test before you perform a blood glucose test.
- Blood Glucose Meter
- Test Strips
- Lancing Device
- Sterile Lancets
Prepare for the Test
- Select the test site There are many sites to obtain capillar blood samples from your pets: the marginal ear vein in both cats and dogs; paw pads in cats and dogs; leg callus in dogs; inner or outer lip for dogs only.
- Gently rubbing the test sites or
- Applying a warm (not hot)cloth to the test site. If using a wet cloth, place the cloth inside a plastic bag to avoid diluting the blood sample.
- Wash your hands and the test site with warm water and soap to ensure accurate results. Thoroughly dry your hands and test site of your pet. (If using a 70% isopropyl alcohol prep pad to clean the site, let it air dry before sampling.)
- Prepare lancing device and lancet according to instructions included with the device.
- After sampling, gently apply pressure to the test site with sterile gauze or cotton wool to help stop the blood flow.
Warming the area will help increase blood flow. This can be done by:
Run a Blood Glucose Test on Your Pet
- Insert test strip from vial Fully insert the test strip into the meter until you feel it stop agains the end of the meter guide.
- Choose Dog Mode/Cat Mode/CTL Mode You can choose from three modes by pressing M button. If you miss the desired more, you can continue pressing M button to cycle through the mode choices again.
|Dog Mode When the dog marker is displayed and the flashing blood drop indicator appears on the display, go to step 3 for obtaining a drop of blood or press M button to move to Cat Mode.
|Cat Mode When the dog marker is displayed and the flashing blood drop indicator appears on the display, go to step 3 for obtaining a drop of blood or press M button to move to CTL Mode.
|CTL Mode When the control solution marker is displayed and the flashing blood drop indicator appears on the display, the meter is ready to perform a control solution test. You can perform a control solution test or press M button to move back to Dog Mode.
|3. Apply Sample to the Test Strip Touch the tip of the strip to the blood sample until the meter beeps and begins the 5 seconds countdown. The minimum blood sample size is 0.3µl(•). Please note that if the confirmation window is not filled with blood, the test result may be inaccurate.
|4. Get Result After 5 seconds, the blood glucose test result appears. This result will be automatically store in the meter's memory.
Expected Blood Glucose Values
Normal glucose ranges for cats and dogs without diabetes is about 75-120 mg/dl (4.2-6.7 mmol/L).1 Many factors will affect blood glucose values such as food intake, medication dosages, health, stress, or exercise. You can consult your veterinarian for appropriate "expected blood glucose values: for pets.
- A. A the test strips are to be used with fresh, capillary whole blood samples.
- B. DO NOT perform glucose tests on your pets when your pets are sick or in poor body conditions.
- C. DO NOT use to test newborn animals (neonates).
- D. Not to be used for determination of a diagnosis or screening of diabetes.
- E. Extreme humidity may affect the results. A relative humidity greater than 85% or lower than 15% may cause incorrect results.
- F. The system should be used at a temperature between 50°F-104°F(10°C-40°C). Outside this range, the system will cease operation. Bring system within operatiing temperature range for 20 minutes before using.
- G. DO NOT reuse the test strips. The test strips are for single use only.
- H. Red blood cell count (Hematocrit): Accurate results are provided for hematocrit ranges between 20% and 60% hematocrit levels below 20% may cause higher results; hematocrit level above 60% may cause lower results. If you do not know hematocrit level of your pets, please consult with veterinarians.
- Cleaning Procedure
- Take disinfectant CaviWipesXL towelette from the container.
- Wipe down the entire meter and lancing device, including the clear cap, until the debris or the bioburden is remove. After air drying, go to Step 2: Disinfection Procedure.
- Discard the used disinfectant wipe in trash.
- Disinfection Procedure Perform the cleaning procedure above prior to performing the disinfection precedure.
- Take a new disinfectant CaviWipesXL from the container.
- Wipe down the entire meter enough to thoroughly wet all surfaces (3 passes horizontal and 3 passes vertical as shown below) to complete the disinfection procedure. Allow the devices to remain wet for a 2-minute contact time. Perform a similar procedure on the entire surface of the lancing device, including the cap. Do disinfection at least once per week.
- Discard the used disinfectant wipe in trash
- Wash hands throughly with soap and water after handling the meter, lancing device, or test strips.
- Always store or transport your meter, test strips, and control solution in the carrying case after eahc use. Avoid strong impact or dropping your system.
- Store your meter, test strips, and control solution in a cool and dry place. Keep away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Store your meter and strips at 39.2°F to 104°F(4°C to 40°C), 15-85% R.H.
- Immediately close the strip or control solution vial cap tightly once you have retrieved a strip or finished a control test to avoid contamination or damage.
- Write down the discard date on the vials after first opening (90 daus from the first time you open). Do not use test strips and control solutions that have passed their expiration dates.
- Keep the strip vial away from children. The cap and the test strip may present a chogking hazard. If swallowed, promptly see a doctor help.